Tuesday, September 4, 2012

"I run for you and me my friend"

I run for community

"We are travelers on a cosmic journey, stardust swirling and dancing on the eddies and whirlpools of infinity.  Life is eternal, we have stopped for a moment to encounter each other, to meet, to love, to share.  This is a precious moment.  It is a little parenthesis in eternity."  
-from The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

I think it's incredible to look back on life and reflect on the experiences and the people who have been a part of the journey.  Everything, whether briefly or forever a part of our lives, can impact who we are and what we will become.  The beautiful, the memorable, the challenging, and the indescribable moments are precious aspects of eternity.

I am both amazed by and thankful for the experiences and the people who have played a role in the running part of my life.  Here's to you, friends, strangers, mentors, family, and fellow runners...

...for inviting or encouraging me to take on a race, for running races with me, or just signing me up since I was coming to town


...for tri-ing as a team


 ...for training with me, short and far distances, at all paces (sometimes many within one run, on purpose or not!)  


...for offering advice, sharing personal experiences, and being a running and morale coach


...for coming out to watch me run, giving me a place to stay pre- and post-race, waking up early, eating bland pre-race dinners, and taking sweet pics that are usually better than any of the professional ones
 
...for being a fellow runner sending encouragement from near and far, providing good luck phone calls and notes, and sharing your own running stories


...for running races so I can come watch you or joining me to watch our friends with plenty of yelling, cowbell ringing, and jumping fun

  
...for making DetermiNation an incredible team to be a part of and for sharing your personal reasons to run

...for being part of an incredible, invaluable running community.



I run for ACS communities

The American Cancer Society commits itself to connecting those who have cancer with mentors, support staff, and others with cancer.  It's part of their mission to help people get well.  And through offering support in various ways, the ACS is helping people get well in the physical, emotional, mental, and social aspects of wellness.  If you know someone facing cancer, consider sharing info about the following programs:

"I Can Cope" Classes - free cancer education program for those diagnosed with cancer and their families and caregivers; available in communities across the country and online

Online Communities and Support - a way to connect with others who are facing or have faced a cancer diagnosis

Reach to Recovery - where women dealing with breast cancer can connect with a volunteer who can give support related to the diagnosis, treatment, and other associated concerns

Man to Man - provides community-based education and one-on-one support for men with prostate cancer and their families

Patient Navigator Program - individuals who work in areas with cancer treatment centers and are available to meet one-on-one to help plan for cancer treatments and other aspects of a cancer diagnosis (find out more by calling 1-800-227-2345)

To support these programs and the rest of the American Cancer Society's mission, consider making a donation through my personal fundraising page

No comments:

Post a Comment