Sunday, September 9, 2012

"I run for life"

I'll run for a lifetime

Last summer I took a marathon training class.  We met weekly to discuss the various aspects of training for an running marathons, half-marathons and other races.  The topics included nutrition, running strategy, strengthening, streching, and so on.  At our last class, Lin, the course coordinator, delivered a wonderful pep talk and send-off.  She reassured us that we were prepared, reminded us to really absorb all aspects of the experience, and encouraged us, regardless of what unexpected challenges may arise, to keeping moving forward whatever the pace may be.

The community of runners I've become part of includes people who started running at various stages in their life, from grade school to well into adulthood.  I've ran with people who have children my age and watched a, nearly, 71-year old run his 71st marathon.  It truly is inspiring to see the various ways running (or cycling, or swimming, or any other activity) weaves itself into someone's life and becomes a value, a passion that stays with that person.  Seeing such a thing in others has enhanced appreciation of an active lifestyle and led me to a personal aspiration - to run for life. 

I don't know what lies ahead of me, or what my body will allow me to do years or even months from now.  But I do know I will heed Lin's advice and keep moving forward, be it a run, jog, mosey, walk or otherwise.


I run for Stay Well initiatives

The American Cancer Society is dedicated to helping people stay well, knowing that it will decrease their risk for certain cancers and live a full life.  Healthy behaviors, such as avoiding tobacco, eating right, and staying active, have been associated with a decreased risk for certain types of cancer.  Additionally, various screening tests are known to be effective to finding cancer early or before it has a chance to start.

The ACS not only played a large role in these discoveries but has committed to translating the knowledge into action and decreasing the incidence of cancer.  I encourage you to check out "Stay Healthy," one of the main pages on their website, www.cancer.org.  You'll find a number of different programs that are available to you to help you on a journey to stay well.  In addition to those programs there is extensive education and implementation strategies related to avoiding tobacco, eating healthy and staying active, being safe in the sun, and finding cancer early.

I hope you find this information useful and feel empowered to affect the modifiable cancer risk factors in your life.  Please share with others, we truly can change the course of cancer.

If you'd like to support the American Cancer Society's mission to help people stay well, get well, find cures, and fight back, please consider making a donation via my personal fundraising page.


No comments:

Post a Comment