Tuesday, August 7, 2012

"I run to feel"

To be worn out is to be renewed. -Lao Tzu

As I start writing this it's not much before 8 am.  And it's a Tuesday.  During the course of my marathon training plan that means I just ran the 2nd longest run of my week and did it pushing and recovering from various paces.

I feel exhausted, and I feel energized.

I suppose you could say running gives me a good feeling (and makes me feel like singing along with Flo Rida)




When I started running pseudo-regularly it was primarily out feeling obligated, definitely not because of a good feeling.  I didn't want to learn about all the muscles that were getting flabby during PT school - as one therapist I shadowed described her time in grad school.  So I ran, but I didn't enjoy it.

But then I ran my first 5k and felt the runner's high.  Then I ran as a way to explore a temporary home during a summer clinical.  Set a goal for another 5k, and hit it.  Started increasing the distances I was running.  Took on a half marathon with the help of an encouraging friend.  And then another half, a 10k, a 10 mile... And just kept going. 

What once felt like an obligation became part of me and my routine, my stress relief, a time to meditate, a vehicle for setting and achieving goals, a commitment to my own health, and a surprising new passion.

Running is a balance, it embodies yin and yang.  It's not necessarily easier than it was when I started but I've developed an appreciation of how the tough and enjoyable aspects balance one another.

I run and push myself when I feel weak so I can feel strong.

I run when I'm tired to I can wake up for the day.

I run in masses of people to run for individual goals.

I run to feel worn out, I run to feel renewed.


I Run for Look Good...Feel Better

Much like Hope Lodge, Look Good...Feel Better is a support program of the American Cancer Society that helps individuals as they are going through cancer treatment.

Look Good...Feel Better partners with volunteer beauty professionals to help women deal with some of the physical side effects of treatment.  Through group and individual sessions or education materials women can learn how to take care of their skin and nails, deal with hair loss that come with a cancer diagnosis and treatment.

Know someone who could benefit from this program?
Call: 1-800-395-LOOK (1-800-395-5665) 
or visit: www.cancer.org or www.lookgoodfeelbetter.org 

Interested in supporting Look Good...Feel Better and the other ways the American Cancer Society is taking on the fight against cancer?
Consider making a donation via my personal fundraising page


No comments:

Post a Comment