Sunday, July 29, 2012

Why I Run

In 2004, Melissa Etheridge was diagnosed with breast cancer.  In 2005, she wrote I Run for Life, a song about hers and others' experiences with breast cancer.  She describes the first verse as being about a survivor, the second about her own experience, and the last for those who know someone who has been affected or have not been diagnosed themselves.

Check out the song below



I first heard this song at a Relay For Life in college.  It was a powerful tune playing as our survivors kicked of the event with their opening lap.

While training for the Chicago Marathon with DetermiNation last year, it became an incredible song and reminder of why I was getting up so early, running so much, and honoring loved ones affected by cancer.

I recently signed up to take on marathon #2 with DetermiNation - Twin Cities Marathon on October 7, 2012.  In addition to training I'll be raising money to support programs of the American Cancer Society and honoring those affected by cancer - my friends, family, teachers, mentors, and patients.  Last year 47 dedications written on my forearms helped carry me through the marathon; 27 of those represented people that I've known personally.

To donate and learn more about the American Cancer Society and DetermiNation visit my personal fundraising page

In preparation for Twin Cities Marathon (which is 10 weeks from today!) I'll be writing weekly blogs.  In I Run for Life, Melissa has 10 different lines with the word "run" in them.  Each week I'll pick one of those and talk about how it touches me and relates to what the American Cancer Society does to eradicate cancer.

I hope you'll join me on my journey!

~Beth



1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you Beth! When I saw the title of your blog and then proceeded to read through and see/hear Melissa's song...brought tears to my eyes. I'll never forget listening to that song on the morning of the Med-City and not knowing if my dad would be at the finish line. I'm obsessed with the song and listen to it almost daily...I also think of you that often as well :-) Thanks for sharing the song with me and thanks for your continued efforts in raising money to help fight cancer!

    ReplyDelete